Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Were the answers right?

Max had a big blow up at school today. Again. This time he scratched his teacher and drew blood from her hand. NOT cool! The director called me. I think it helped keep his spot there that she knows we had him evaluated. She's not sure she agrees with the fact that he is "only" ADHD. She thinks there may be something more that the psychologist wasn't able to see only having 3 sessions with him. Maybe oppositional defiant disorder? Not sure, but his outbursts are bad. Usually removing him from the situation and taking him somewhere he feels safe helps, but we can't continue to let him have these out of control behaviors. The director has 4 sons, one with ADHD, one with ADD and ODD, and two that were ok. She's been there done that and really is willing to help us. I just pray we can figure out what works for him and stick with it. It kills me to know he always feels remorse after his episodes. He doesn't like that he gets that way, but he can't help it. He can't stop it on his own before it goes to far so I guess that's up to us to help him learn.

It definitely makes me want to hurry up and get him into counseling. For his sake and for ours. The sooner he can learn to control himself and we can learn how to help him, the sooner I might not feel like such a horrible parent. I agreed not to push for meds because Tim is so against it at the time being. However, what if they would help?? They helped Rusty, but I know every person is different. I just don't want him to go through life being labeled as the angry kid. Especially because he is so loving and caring when he isn't blowing up. Anyway, I feel like after today I want him on meds more than ever. Because I want to help him find balance long before he starts school.

I don't know much right now other than I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes feeling so guilty that he's this way. Wishing I could just flip a switch and make it better. I'm sure tonight when Tim gets home we'll talk about it. Hopefully that'll leave me feeling better than I do right now. I do know I'm calling the friend who referred us to the psychologist so I can find out from her who to take him to for counseling. I'd like to get that set us ASAP.

I'll let you know more when I know more.

As for my dad, he was supposed to have some infected drainage sucked out yesterday but that didn't happen. Not exactly sure why since I didn't talk to my mom. I'm hoping she call herself today so I know what's going on. Originally they were thinking they'd release him this week so I'm hoping that still happens. I'm also curious to see if he has been able to eat and drink yet without getting sick. Again, you'll know more when I do.

5 comments:

Kendra aka The Meanest Momma said...

Hugs! I'm sure you are upset but Max is so lucky to have you & Tim for parents -your commitment to work with him and help him overcome his behaviors is awesome. It sounds like counseling will help evaluate if you can do it without meds. Hang in there!

Kelly said...

I'm sorry. I know it makes you feel so helpless. It's great the director is trying to work with you though. Keep me posted.You guys can do it!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ang,
I'm thinking of you. Your doing all you can, and I can't help but think of how lucky Max is also. I have a feeling we may have our hands full with Sydney. I think alot of the feelings of wondering if your a good parent are universal. I can so relate. I tried to call you last week, but you didnt answer. I'll try again. I wonder how far you are from Colorado. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope your dad is okay.

Love,
Tiffany

Angie said...

Thanks to all of you!! I appreciate your kind words.

Tiffany, I got your message. I tried to call you back that night, around 6:40 but got a busy signal. I figured you were in the hospital and didn't get signal there. Definitely call. I work tomorrow night so I'll be around all day tomorrow if you catch this in time. I'm also off Thur-Fri. I miss you!!

Debbie said...

hugs from me too. I can't imagine how it must feel to be so helpless in a situation. Do you think maybe he is bored and needs to challenged more? Maybe he has too much time on his hands? That would kind of go with his intellegence...just getting bored and acting out to get attention somehow. Just brainstorming a little bit. Thinking of you!