Saturday, April 12, 2008

Finally, some answers!

I'll start with Max because I know everyone has been waiting to hear what we found out yesterday. I meant to post last night, but I was too tired.

Max's IQ is above normal. He's in the 82nd percentile which means only 18% of kids his age know more than he does. However, his attention span was in the normal range. If you look at either of the tests alone, he appears pretty normal, but a little smart. If you put them together, he appears to have ADHD. For his intelligence level, he should definitely be able to still a lot longer. She also said some of the attention test was on the computer and he did really well there. Since he hyperfocuses on the computer, that may have caused him to test higher in the attention portion than if she had given it orally. Basically, if his attention matched his intelligence he'd be in the 98th percentile. Because of the discrepancy she definitely feels that he does have ADHD.

She recommended we see a doctor who would prescribe meds because she really feels that they would help Max. Tim doesn't necessarily agree with meds though, and I really wanted to wait until he goes to school. So, our next option is counseling. Max would go some on his own and do play therapy, but Tim and I would also be involved with learning how to help him deal with his impulsiveness, attention problems, and meltdowns. Tim agrees that that's the best place to start and we'll go from there.

Nothing really surprising. Dr. Monroe was very impressed with Max and it cracked her up that he would ask if they could be done with the questions because he was bored. He really just wanted to get back to the waiting room to play.

As far as an update on my dad, he's doing better. He did have another infection pocket erupt yesterday, but it's probably a good thing because now it's out and he can work on continuing to get rid of the infection. His NG tube is out and yesterday they started letting him drink little bits at a time. If he can keep it down without getting sick to his stomach than they'll increase the amount and what he's allowed to have. Hopefully his antibiotics will continue to work and his white count will continue to go down. At this point he is supposed to be released next Wednesday unless his labs don't look good or something else pops up. My mom still isn't sure how long they'll stay down in FL as she likes that they are handling his IV antibiotics well. It would be a hassle for him to fly home in between doses. We shall see though. I just want them home so I can go visit and take the boys to see him.

Tim told me last night he heard of a bar near here that has rock bands on Saturday nights. So, of course he wants to go out again. Since we rarely ever do, I'm all for it. Alli is probably still sleeping though so I have to wait a bit to call and see if she can babysit! Keep your fingers crossed. With all the sickness going around, I just want to have fun and forget it all for a night.

We are all home for the weekend so I'm hoping to do something that doesn't include vegging on the couch. Unfortunately its supposed to rain all weekend so that really limits what we can go do.

I'm off for now, but I shall return!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Glad to hear you got some answers. I think it's awesome that you guys are going to try counseling first. I see too many parents jump right into medication wanting immediate results. That sometimes messes with the health of the child. It's great you guys are willing to work at it! XXOO

Debbie said...

Glad to hear your dad's counts are going up - hope he is on the mend for good now!

I think your handeling Max very well. I hope the counseling helps