Sunday, February 3, 2008

SuperBowl Sunday

Not sure if there is a time stamp on this post, but if there is, you read it right. It's 4am and I am wide awake. I had to work at 11 and I'm having sinus issues to I took an allergy pill. It was slow so they sent me home, but my brain is racing so I can't sleep. I figured I should come post since I'm always too tired during the day.

First off I'll update on Max. The day after my last post he decided he wasn't staying at school when Tim got there to drop him off. I got home just before they left so I'm sure that had something to do with it. Tim told him he would have to stay in his room, no toys, to TV all day and he still chose to come home rather than stay there. Tim decided to stay home as well because A) he was mad and B) he knew I needed to sleep and wouldn't be able to enforce Max staying in his room. We sat down and had breakfast with him. Lots of questions trying to find out what in the world could be wrong that he didn't want to be there. His answer continues to be that Cullen doesn't like him, won't play with him, etc. After breakfast he spent 2.5 hours in his room while I slept. Tim said he came out for lunch and then went right back up for his nap. At lunch time Tim talked to him some more but he still didn't have much to say. I woke up when he was getting up from his nap. He spent the rest of the afternoon and evening reading books, coloring, and hanging out bored in the living room because we wouldn't let him play on his computer or watch cartoons. He couldn't wait to go back the next day!!

I talked to the director and his teacher when I went to pick up Alex. I was curious to see if they noticed something that maybe he didn't tell us about, or we didn't notice. Everyone is pretty confused, but Tim and I decided that having company two weekends in a row and lack of sleep probably had a lot to do with it. His teacher said that she has seen Cullen say things to Max that most kids would probably ignore, but Max just reacts more heavily. He is mean to all of the kids sometimes, but at the same time, he and Max have spurts where they love to play together and would be angry to be separated. She also said that Max seems to do really well in groups of 2 or 3, but when the whole class does something together he has a little harder time. He's also quite particular about change. He has "his" seat and if anyone else sits in it, he freaks out. A little OCD maybe? Haha! He's also very in tune with the daily schedule and lets Sarah know if she's falling behind. He can't even tell time, but he'll point out all day long that it's time to do such and such and she said he's usually right on the nose.

I've been reading Raising Your Spirited Child and it is all beginning to make sense. He is more perceptive, energetic, intense, and a few other things than most kids. I'm finding that only 100 pages in I understand him a whole lot better. If I can think before I speak, he and I could probably get along a lot better and I may be able to help him adapt to change and other issues better. I'm hoping I continue to get as much from this book as I read on as I have so far. I think Tim is even going to read it when I'm done. I'd love to have his teacher read it too, but I'm probably just going to have to convey the important parts to her. He did great the rest of the week and has been better at home too. I honestly think he figured if he came home he would get to play and have fun with mommy. We told him what would happen and we were very good about holding to that. But we didn't just ignore him either, we made sure to talk to him and get him to talk to us. We want him to know that we love him no matter what, but sometimes his actions aren't acceptable. He needed to test our threats and we passed, but it worked out for all parties involved.

Alex has been having a rough time the last few nights too. He had his 15 month well check on Tuesday. He is in the 10th percentile for weight and 25th for height. Little peanut! He had to have two shots and it's either those, teeth, or possibly another ear infection, but Tim said he has not been sleeping the last few nights. He wakes up crying quite often and isn't as consolable as he usually is. Normally we stick a pacifier in his mouth and he goes right back to sleep. When I got home tonight I checked on them first and Alex is sleeping cuddled up to Tim right now. It was so sweet. I'm hoping it's just teeth. He had a few days where he didn't eat very good. Add that to the crankiness and not sleeping and I'm thinking it is teeth. That's a good thing though because 3 just doesn't seem like enough for someone who likes to eat as much as he does.

I guess I don't have much else to update on. I'm pretty sure that Monday we are going to keep Max home from school and do something fun with him. I think he needs a mommy/daddy/Max day, and since it was Tim's idea we'll most likely do it. If he makes it through the next two nights, it will also be day #7 waking up dry so maybe we'll let him pick out a TV. I want to get him one with a timer and built in DVD player so we can control how much he is able to watch. I want to limit it to 30 minutes each night before bed, and he'll have to start going to bed earlier. I'm not sure he'll notice though and it will be a nice evening break for me. Tim also wants to take him to an indoor water park about an hour away from here so I'm sure that's where we will be heading.

Hmm, I need to post more often because I feel like I've been typing forever. If I updated more often I probably wouldn't have so much to talk about all at once. We have no plans for today other that watching football this evening but I should get to bed anyway. If I stay away for too long, let me know so I can get back in here quicker!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I'm glad Max had a better week after the big crash of '08. It sounds like you guys have a good plan for him and hopefully that will result in happier days for all of you.

Alex is definitely a peanut (you said weight for both btw). Max must take after Tim, and Alex takes after you.

I hope you were able to get back to sleep. Enjoy the water park day with Max if that's where you end up!

Debbie said...

I agree that the two weekends of company probably tied into Max's meltdown. Glad he is doing better and I hope he makes his other 2 nights dry! YAY!

Aw, lil Alex is such a cute peanut :) Hope he feels better!