Saturday, December 1, 2007

I love/hate this time of year!

Christmas is definitely my favorite holiday. Especially since having kids. And I love the winter with its cold snowy days outside and drinking warm cocoa inside. But, this time of year also means that my "baby" is another year older. He'll be 4 in two weeks and it seems like just yesterday we were bringing him home from the hospital.

This year is so much more fun than it has been in the past. He is really getting into the Christmas spirit. We've been watching the specials on TV and he even talked me into buying the Christmas Classics DVD set. He loves Frosty the best, but he'll watch all of them over and over. He keeps asking about Santa, loves the tree, and is just excited about everything in general. Last week when we had a day off together, Tim and I did some browsing for toys. This is probably the first time that we are picking things out together and he isn't just as surprised as the kids when the gifts are open. It makes it more of a family event this way and I love it.

As for snow, we had some on Thanksgiving that was gorgeous, but nothing since then. We've had the chance for snow all week, but still nothing. Now I hear that my Michigan and Illinois friends are expecting several inches. I haven't seen the forecast for here, but I'm hoping we are in for the same. All 4 of us have new winter boots, the kids have hats and mittens, and we bought them a sled. I'm ready to get out there and have some fun. At least for as long as Alex can tolerate the cold. I'm sure I'll have to drag Max and Tim back inside kicking and screaming. But I so look forward to the first time that they come in from the snow and I can have a nice cup of hot chocolate waiting for them. And maybe a fire in the fireplace if I can figure out how to light it. It's gas, so it shouldn't be all that hard.

I have to work tonight so tomorrow I'm sure I'll be tired, but Tim's Christmas party at work is at 2pm. We are taking the boys and I'm sure they'll love it. I know Max loved the kids holiday party at the hotel in Virginia. Not sure what kind of set up they have here, but its nice that we can go as a family.

Ok, that's about all I've got for now, and Max wants lunch so I should be on my way. I'll be back soon though!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

We just got a damn winter ICE storm with no snow...that stinks!!! You know, you are sounding pretty domesticated with your hot coco waiting and building a fire on your own!! I bet you'd serve them some home-made apple pie too ;)

Angie said...

LOL, IN did something to me. I don't know what the problem is. Maybe it's having this huge house and Tim is home more. I have never been domestic but it does look like I'm heading in that direction doesn't it??