Thursday, October 16, 2008

Grandma and Grandpa are coming tonight!

And the kids are pretty excited. Well, Max is anyway, Alex won't be until they get here. I'm happy because I have to work all weekend and now I'll be able to sleep. Woohoo! Win-win for everyone.

I don't really have much to update. Just felt like writing this morning. I have a ton of cleaning up to do and I think I'm avoiding it.

Skunk smell seems to be gone. It has been raining the last few days so I think that helps. We will probably have to powerwash the deck with some cleaner, but it's out of the inside of the house. The deck needs to be powerwashed anyway. It gets moldy pretty easily because there is so much shade in the backyard and it doesn't dry out the way it should.

Max has become a handful again lately. He has been sassy, is throwing tantrums, and is having a very hard time controlling himself. I'm thinking it's time to call his psychiatrist again. I hate to always have to call between appointments, but that's just the way it works out. His current meds are almost maxed out as far as the dosage he can take. I'm pretty sure that a lot of the problem is the fact that his metabolism is so high and he probably processes it differently than he should. I just don't think the Concerta is right for him anymore. Makes me sad because he did so well on it for awhile. I'm also afraid if we change him to something else it will affect his sleep. He already wakes up far earlier than he should even taking melatonin. I know there are sleeping meds we could put him on, but at almost 5 I really hate to keep adding medications. I do want to see him succeed and be a happy little boy though so I do know that this is probably the only way. He gets so down on himself when he can't control his emotions. He can't explain what he's feeling, but I can see that he does not like being out of control. He is such a happy boy when the meds are working and that's what we want for him. I know it's trial and error, but it sure is frustrating.

Alex on the other hand has been pretty good lately. Still gets into everything, but he is getting so good about telling us what he needs. I think his ability to communicate has helped spare the meltdowns that Max had at this age. His 2 year checkup is next Monday and I'm curious to see what they have to say about him. He seems advanced in a lot of ways, but behind where Max was in some ways too. He is a little bully which cracks us up because he is so small compared to the other kids in his class. He picks fights with Max too and generally win.

I guess that's about all I have. I'm just rambling anyway. I'm sure there will be more after this weekend!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Hey Angie - Sorry Max is having some difficulties again. Hopefully it's just a phase and maybe it'll straighten out.

I hope you have a good family visit this weekend.

manda said...

I dont remember where I saw this...They say at kids 1/2 year birthdays they tend to get worse...It TOTALLY made sense in our lives...Trev was great all winter long come end of spring and summer he was 100 percent evil I would have paid someone to take him away...Now he is cooling down! I think it was Parents magazine.

Debbie said...

I 2nd Manda. I saw that same article in the recent Parent's magazine ;)

Hope you enjoy the weekend with your company!